Some common examples of these types of “conversations” are:
– stay-at-home versus working moms
– breast-feeding versus formula feeding moms
– putting more focus on family versus putting more focus on career
– choosing to move with your significant other or choosing to live long distance
– taking husbands name versus keeping your maiden name (good Lord, this one has been beaten to a pulp in the science blogger community)
I get that we all have opinions, and there is no one-size-fits-all answer to these questions. What I don’t get is why we care so much about what others decide. It’s not like it influences our own lives if our friend decides to stay-at-home, or if they choose to use formula. As long as someone is making an informed decision, why can’t we just leave it be?
So, why all the craziness surrounding these topics? Are women really more judgmental of each other, or do we just take the opinions of others more personally (i.e., see them as an attack) and so feel the need to justify our opinions over and over?