Archive for the ‘conferences’ Category
It’s nice to be happy with the way I am.
1. The people were really nice, welcoming, and including. I wonder if I would still be doing science if I did my PhD in a different field (some of my issues during my PhD were people -related).
2. That being said, discovering the education & outreach community felt like going home. They are definitely my people.
3. I learned more from, and was more interested in, talks not having to do with my PhD research (perhaps another clue I did the wrong thing?).
4. I find it really hard just to go up and talk to someone I don’t know. But, if someone comes up to me, I can talk it up with the best of them.
5. Hosting a booth was great to talk to people, have as a meeting place, a quiet place during the day to check email, and to use as storage. Plus, it actually saved us money because the cost (which included two registrations) was cheaper than two regular-member registrations.
6. I forgot how long conference days are! Usually, I was at the conference from 8:30am to 9pm.
7. I’m definitely no longer 22. Not only did I look forward to going back to the hotel each night, I also didn’t feel guilty about it whatsoever.
8. Coming home is the best part of any trip.
And do you know how I’m celebrating? I’m taking the afternoon off to…
…go grocery shopping, do laundry, and get to bed as early as I can because I have to wake up at 4:30am to head out to a conference in Houston 😛
I’ll fully admit that I’m not excited at all to be going to a conference. Mostly because I don’t want to be away from DH and Evan for six days.
But, to try and look on the positive side, I’ve never been to Houston so hopefully I can see some of the sites. I’ve also never been to this conference, so hopefully it will be interesting. There is a full-day outreach workshop on Sunday, which is why I’m heading down a bit early, and that should be good.
I have a few short posts scheduled for next week, but I probably won’t be around much, so have a good one!